Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Tip: Text to speech on smartphones

Here's how to use text-to-speech functionality on today's smartphones.…

Question. I’m partially blind. I’m about to buy a smartphone, but I don’t know whether there are any apps that will help me. What are my text-to-speech options on a smartphone?

image

Tech Tips

By Kim Komando

  • You can use Siri to speak text directly to your smartphone.Oli Scarff, Getty ImagesYou can use Siri to speak text directly to your smartphone.

Oli Scarff, Getty ImagesYou can use Siri to speak text directly to your smartphone.

Answer. Both Android and iOS have built-in text-to-speech menus and other features. Android’s menus come in the form of an app called Talkback. You can download it by going to Settings»Accessibility on your Android Phone. Apple’s mobile devices have an equivalent of the Voiceover feature you may recognize if you use a Mac. You can turn it on by going to Settings»Accessibility. If you haven’t decided which phone to buy, I would recommend picking up an iPhone. Not only does it have a much friendlier user interface, it has more apps made for people with vision problems than Android.

via http://www.speechtechnologygroup.com/speech-blog - Here's how to use text-to-speech functionality on today's smartphones.… Question. I’m partially blind. I’m about to buy a smartphone, but I don’t know whether there are any apps that will help me. What are my text-to-speech options on a smartphone? Tech Tips By Kim Komando Oli Scarff, Getty ImagesYo ...

No comments:

Post a Comment